The City will host its third Community Meeting for the Astoria Transportation System Plan (TSP) Update on Wednesday, September 11 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Liberty Theater, McTavish Room (1203 Commercial Street). The City's updated TSP will guide improvements to roads, sidewalks, crossings, trails, and other transportation facilities over the next 20 years.
Doors open at 5:00 pm. The meeting will start with an overview presentation, beginning at 5:30 p.m. After that, participants will have the opportunity to visit display stations where they can learn more about specific topics, ask questions, and share ideas. The meeting is an opportunity for community members to learn about the TSP update and give feedback about the project and recommended solutions to current and future transportation issues in Astoria.
So far the TSP project team has:
· Established goals and objectives;
· Assessed existing conditions related to transportation;
· Explored issues and needs related specifically to walking and biking;
· Prepared a report about transportation conditions projected for the next 20 years, needs related to these conditions, and potential improvements to address these needs;
· Compared and made recommendations about potential improvements;
· Explored existing, potential, and likely funding for improvements;
· Prepared draft standards for designing and evaluating the transportation system; and
· Completed a draft TSP document.
The newest project product – the draft TSP – compiles and highlights project work done to date. The project team is looking for help from the community as it reviews the draft document, particularly the most recent work that has been done in preparing draft design and evaluation standards for the transportation system and recommended improvements for driving, walking, biking, and using transit. Downtown circulation has been a focus of attention and analysis, and recommended improvements address the issue of one-way and two-way streets in downtown.
Ohana Media Group
Phone: (503) 861-6620
Fax: (503) 861-6630