Hand sanitizer sparked by static electricity may have started the fire that burned an 11-year-old girl in her room at Doernbecher Children's Hospital.
Ireland Lane suffered third-degree burns to 18 percent of her body in the Feb. 2 fire in Portland. The father of the Klamath Falls girl was napping in the room at the time and woke up to smother the flames with his body after she ran from the room.
Stephen Lane says investigators told him the alcohol-based hand sanitizer is the only thing that could have caught fire. Ireland doesn't remember much, but she had used the sanitizer to wipe down her bedside table. The spark may have come from a static electricity spark in the sheets.
The state fire marshal is investigating.
Get a snapshot of your community delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.
Ohana Media Group
Phone: (503) 861-6620
Fax: (503) 861-6630