Clam diggers who miss the razor clam dig that runs through next Tuesday (Feb. 12) will have plenty of other chances to hit the beaches in Washington in the weeks ahead.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has announced a tentative schedule for razor clam openings through March.
The current dig, previously approved by WDFW, runs Feb. 7-12 after noon each day at the following beaches:
· Feb. 7, Thursday, 4:22 p.m., -0.5 ft., Twin Harbors
· Feb. 8, Friday, 5:11 p.m., -0.9 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Feb. 9, Saturday, 5:56 p.m., -1.0 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Feb. 10, Sunday, 6:37 p.m., -0.9 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach
· Feb. 11, Monday, 7:17 p.m., -0.5 ft., Twin Harbors
· Feb. 12, Tuesday, 7:54 p.m., 0.0 ft., Twin Harbors
The department has also tentatively scheduled additional digs Feb. 23-24, March 7-11 and March 28-31, provided upcoming marine toxin tests show the clams are safe to eat.
"We try to announce future razor clam digs as far in advance as possible, so diggers can mark their calendars," said Dan Ayres, WDFW coastal shellfish manager. "We expect to open some beaches for digging later in spring, but that depends on how many clams we will have available for harvest after the March openings."
Ayres noted that the digs tentatively scheduled in March reflect changes to both daylight-savings time and the seasonal switch to morning low tides.
"Every year in late March, the lowest low tides switch from evenings to mornings," Ayres said. "I know a lot of diggers look forward to digging on morning tides."
WDFW will announce the final word on all upcoming digs after marine toxin tests have been completed. Those digs are tentatively scheduled on the following dates and low tides:
· Feb. 23, Saturday, 5:12 p.m., +0.3 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors
· Feb. 24, Sunday, 5:47 p.m., +0.1 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors
· Mar. 7, Thursday, 3:06 p.m., +0.3 ft., Twin Harbors
· Mar. 8, Friday, 4:01 p.m., 0.0 ft., Twin Harbors
· Mar. 9, Saturday, 4:50 p.m., -0.2 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
(Daylight savings time begins)
· Mar. 10, Sunday, 6:33 p.m., -0.2 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Mar. 11, Monday, 7:12 p.m., 0.0, Twin Harbors
(Seasonal switch to morning tides)
· Mar. 28, Thursday, 7:57 a.m., -0.3 ft., Twin Harbors
· Mar. 29, Friday, 8:40 a.m., -0.6 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Mar. 30, Saturday, 9:26 a.m., -0.7 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Mar. 31, Sunday, 10:16 a.m., -0.6 ft., Twin Harbors
See the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/razorclams/current.html for the latest news on these digs.
All diggers age 15 or older must have an applicable 2012-13 fishing license to harvest razor clams on any beach. Licenses, ranging from a three-day razor clam license to an annual combination fishing license, are available on WDFW's website at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov and from license vendors around the state.
Ohana Media Group
Phone: (503) 861-6620
Fax: (503) 861-6630