Dormitories and other buildings at the University of Oregon are reported running on electricity supplied by generators after a series of explosions knocked out power.
Spokeswoman Julie Brown said Tuesday morning that crews worked through the night to restore power to about 3,000 students living on campus, many of whom used flashlights to negotiate darkened stairwells or hiked to other campus buildings to charge their electronic gear.
Brown says it's expected to take a couple of days to make repairs and re-establish normal electrical service.
With the school powered up, she said, campus officials can begin investigating why an electric feeder line overheated, causing explosions in an underground utility tunnel that sent smoking rising through vents.
Brought to you by:
Ohana Media Group
Phone: (503) 861-6620
Fax: (503) 861-6630