State fishery managers have approved the first razor clam dig of 2013, starting Tuesday (Jan. 8) at Twin Harbors and expanding to include three other ocean beaches later in the week.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) approved the evening dig after marine toxin tests showed the clams on those beaches are safe to eat.
Dan Ayres, WDFW coastal shellfish manager, noted that Twin Harbors beach will be open to digging for seven straight days on evening tides. No digging will be allowed there or on any beach before noon.
"Our surveys show we have a lot of clams at Twin Harbors this season, and the digging schedule reflects that," Ayres said. "But digging has been good at the other beaches, too."
The schedule for the upcoming dig and evening low tides is:
· Jan. 8, Tues., 3:44 p.m., -0.2 ft., Twin Harbors
· Jan. 9, Wed., 4:38 p.m., -0.9 ft., Twin Harbors
· Jan. 10, Thurs., 5:27 p.m., -1.3 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis,
· Jan. 11, Fri., 6:14 p.m., -1.6 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Jan. 12, Sat., 6:58 p.m., -1.5 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
· Jan. 13, Sun., 7:41 p.m., -1.2 ft., Twin Harbors
· Jan. 14, Mon., 8:22 p.m., -0.6 ft., Twin Harbors
Ayres noted that the best digging occurs one to two hours prior to low tide.
By law, clam diggers are limited to 15 razor clams per day, and are required to keep the first 15 clams they dig. Each digger's clams must be kept in a separate container.
All diggers age 15 or older must have an applicable 2012-13 fishing license to harvest razor clams on any beach. Licenses, ranging from a three-day razor clam license to an annual combination fishing license, are available on WDFW's website at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov and from license vendors around the state.
Information about current and proposed digs, as well as the location of Washington's razor clam beaches, is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/razorclams/current.html.
Get a snapshot of your community delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.
Ohana Media Group
Phone: (503) 861-6620
Fax: (503) 861-6630